• May 16Registration 2019-2020: Jr's Class of 2021 - Friday, August 2

• May 16Registration 2019-2020: Sr's Class of 2020 - Thursday, August 1

• May 16Registration 2019-2020: Fresh. Class of 2023 - Tuesday, August 6

• May 16Registration 2019-2020: Soph. Class of 2022 - Monday, August 5

Scholarships: free money

Back to Article
Back to Article

Scholarships: free money

Jacob Williams, Writer

Towards the end of a singular high school experience, he/she start to worry about what to do after high school and how to get there.

If you are going to college after high school, it is suggested you apply for scholarships because you don’t know what scholarships you are eligible unless you try. During a recent interview, Mr. Bell answered some questions about scholarships. Bell stated that “students’ biggest questions about scholarships are questions they already know such as “where can I find scholarships?” We go over how to apply for scholarships and where to find them.” Every year students can find scholarships on the school website and inside the scholarship notebook seniors received earlier this year. There are different types and sections of scholarships. “There are thousands and thousands of scholarships… students don’t take initiative. Push yourself to go after as many scholarships as you can.” Students often become lazy and blow off applying for scholarships, because applying takes work, while a select are receiving thousands of dollars because they want it badly enough. Be that student that goes above and beyond when it comes to applying for scholarships.

Another way to pay for college to receive an athletic scholarship. Students that receive offers from colleges to play sports, first, verbally commit to a college. Once verbally committed by their senior year, they sign a National Letter of Intent if they are going to a D1, D2, or a NAIA college. This means that student is committed to that school (for at least a year), but must keep grades up and have high SAT or ACT scores to get into that particular school. Mrs. McCullough stated “Students have to work hard to get into the school.” McCullough runs all the National Letter of Intent Signing Days, which is where students are invited to a ceremony to sign at school. There are four signing days in the year, one in November, one in December, one in February, and a late signing day in April.

Signing a letter of intent is a really big accomplishment. “Knowing that the next part of my life is official,” Megan Forbes, senior softball player, said about signing to her college. What she meant was that the weight was off her shoulders, because when a student athlete is just verbally committed, the college can take away that scholarship. “This scholarship has changed my life because I get to continue my softball career at a higher level,” Maile Maletta said about how her scholarship will change her life. Since the girls have to be a freshman again, they can, of course, have mixed feelings. Karleen Bedre said, “My favorite part about college is playing soccer with my future family and attending classes with my friends,” regarding what she is most excited about college.

These girls all like to be outside and play the sport they love. Outside of high school, Forbes enjoys riding dirt bikes, Maletta likes to paint and cheer, and Bedre enjoys to run. They also have had great moments at Norco High. Forbes’s favorite moment was “seeing most of the school standing in the outfield as we play a home game.” Bedre’s was “being with my team who inspire me to work harder because we all have the same passion to win, “and, Maletta’s was “winning the championship game and becoming CIF division 1 champions.”

Being a really good student or being a stellar athlete, are two options for recieving scholarships to get through college without worrying about the cost. It gets rid of some extra weight on your shoulders. Be confident and go for as many as you can. Norco High wants to see former students succeed in the near future. Go cougars!

About the Writer
Jacob Williams, Editor

Jacob Williams (12) has been on the NHS journalism staff for 4 years (2015-2019) and is into Norco's sports and events on campus.