• December 14You can now click on the ad to be redirected to the website for Rancho Taco Shop!

Where are they now?

Jacob Williams, Writer

Over the course of Norco High’s history, there have been many outstanding athletes that later go on to do great in college, a few even made it to professional sports teams. When students graduate, we always want to look back at their performance in high school, but also we want to know what they are doing now.

Once a five star recruit as a running back, Travis Dye is enjoying his time in Oregon so far. Dye says, “Norco prepared me for the weather, school, and college ball.” Dye ran for a total of 5,229 yards in his high school career. Now, he is fighting for the starting job at Oregon. In his first season, he ran for 739 yards and scored 4 touchdowns. Against their rival Oregon State, he ran for 199 yards and scored two touchdowns. His favorite memory as a cougar is “hanging with the fellas” and getting mentored by coach Chastain.

Another tremendous athlete in college coming out of Norco High is Lucas Havrisik. Havrisik is now kicking for the University of Arizona. He says what transitioned him to Arizona were some of his teachers. “My teachers who had a huge impact on me were Mr. Chastain and Ms. Leonti. They helped me learn stuff about not only school, but life. All teachers helped me, but those two stood out. Chastain helped me by staying patient in the recruiting process and believed in me to go to the next level. Ms. Leonti helped me in language arts by showing me different strategies such as reading, chunking, and annotating.” His favorite memory at Norco High is “playing my old school in football my senior year and hitting the school record breaking 51 yard field goal.” He also mentioned, “Norco’s community is very supportive. When I played football, the stands were always full. It was really cool.” His goals in college are to become an All- American kicker and to graduate with his degree. He also dreams to go to the NFL, eventually, but he’s focusing on school for now.

It’s a good feeling when you’re watching TV on Saturday and Norco’s own athletes are playing. One day we may see more Norco athletes make it to the pros. Keep it up Norco alumni!

About the Writer
Jacob Williams, Editor

Jacob Williams (12) has been on the NHS journalism staff for 4 years (2015-2019) and is into Norco's sports and events on campus.