Reflections Art Contest

Back to Article
Back to Article

Reflections Art Contest

Ryan Curtis, Editor-In-Chief

“National PTA’s Reflections program has helped students explore their own thoughts, feelings and ideas, develop artistic literacy, increase confidence and find a love for learning that will help them become more successful in school and in life.” -pta.org

This year’s Reflections marks the 50th anniversary of the program which started in 1969. Every year, the PTSA offers this contest that allows students to showcase their artistic talents. This year’s theme is “Look Within.”

Every year, around 300,000 students create original works of art in response to the theme. Winners in the local competition have the opportunity to move up through their district, region, state, and national level. The art students may submit isn’t limited to drawings or paintings. Reflections art categories are dance choreography, film production, literature, music composition, photography, and visual arts.

200 student participants that have national level submissions will receive the following rewards from the national PTA:

• Merit Award:Bronze Medal; Certificate of Merit; Work featured in the traveling exhibition
  • Award of Excellence:$200 Young Artist Scholarship; Silver Medal; Certificate of Excellence; Work featured in the traveling exhibition
  • Outstanding Interpretation Award:An expense-paid trip for awardee and chaperone to showcase work on stage at the National PTA Awards and Reflections Celebration; $800 Young Artist Scholarship; Gold Medal; Certificate of Outstanding Interpretation; Work featured in the traveling exhibition; $200 Prize for Local PTA Unit.

Students may download the student packet on the Norco High Website to participate in the Reflections art contest or pick up the application and rules from Ms. Rowan at the front desk. Applications are due by 11/8/19 @ 3pm.

The National PTA Reflections program was created to recognize and encourage students’ individual creativity. Use of copyrighted material is prohibited, except for background music in dance choreography and film production entries. If used in dance choreography and film production entries, background music must be cited on the entry form. Plagiarized entries will be disqualified. Use of PowerPoint templates are prohibited.