• May 16Registration 2019-2020: Jr's Class of 2021 - Friday, August 2

• May 16Registration 2019-2020: Sr's Class of 2020 - Thursday, August 1

• May 16Registration 2019-2020: Fresh. Class of 2023 - Tuesday, August 6

• May 16Registration 2019-2020: Soph. Class of 2022 - Monday, August 5

Prospects Get Call of Their Lives

Jacob Williams, Editor-In-Chief

Since the start of the season, baseball fans were eager to see when Vladimir Guerrero Jr., Fernando Tatis Jr., and Nick Senzel got the call as the next two top prospects in the sport.

On Sunday, April 28th, the Blue Jays called up the number one prospect. He went 1-4 with a single. After that he has been struggling with six strikeouts in only three games. Everyone struggles when they get the call up, hopefully, the son of a legend, will live up to his potential and make the adjustments to stop his current slump. Guerrero has proven to be a major threat to the plate in 2018. He blasted his way through the minors going from high A to triple- A. He has been around the sport his entire life with his dad Vladimir Guerrero Sr, Hall of Famer, in the league as well. The pressure is on him to do as his father did. If he gets the strikeout percentage to fall, he will be the next superstar in the sport.

Fernando Tatis Jr. impressed all during his minor league career and spring training and was well deserving of a spot on the opening day roster with the San Diego Padres. All eyes will be on the left side of the infield with Tatis jr. and Manny Machado, who was signed over this offseason with an historic contact. Tatis Jr. is well known for his defensive capabilities but his bat is also incredible. In exactly 100 at bats he is hitting .300 with six home runs with thirteen runs batted in. He also has stolen 6 bases during that span. He is an exciting player to watch and it will be interesting how all San Diego’s prospects turn out.

With today’s breaking news, Senzel has gotten the call and will be playing his major league debut tonight May 3, 2019. The number 2 draft pick in 2016 has been the fifth top prospect since last year. With a stacked infield, the Reds have molded his talents as an outfielder instead of his original position of third base. The Reds need his bat right now with All-Star, Scooter Gennett, out on the injured list, and with Scott Schebler struggling in the first month of baseball. Senzel is very athletic, with speed, and has a good first step to track fly balls. Although battling with injury’s last season, he hit .310 with six homeruns in the course of only 44 games. He will wear the number 15.

Also getting a call up is number 23 prospect, Tyler Beede. He will replace Derek Holland who just went on the injured list with an index finger bruise. This is not his major league debut, struggling in his first two starts he got sent back to triple- A. This season in triple-A Beede is 1-1, with a 1.99 earned run average. Beede deserves another crack at it, it is tough going from nobody knowing who you are, to fans wearing your jersey at a professional game. Hopefully, he will take advantage of this moment and strike big tonight against Senzel and the rest of the reds lineup.

With these amazing athletes making their path to the majors, baseball has been very exciting, and all fans will be leaning towards their TV’s or at the game waiting to see how these guys perform. We know the talent is there, but will they conquer or collapse this opportunity.

About the Writer
Jacob Williams, Editor

Jacob Williams (12) has been on the NHS journalism staff for 4 years (2015-2019) and is into Norco's sports and events on campus.