• March 7You can now order yearbooks from the window at activities!

• February 19Senior t-shirts and sweatshirts are still on sale, visit activities during lunch to purchase one

• February 14AP Exam registration and ordering are now open online. Registration closes on Feb. 22nd

Norco Softball Recaptures Title of #1 Team in Nation

Back to Article
Back to Article

Steven K. Doi

Steven K. Doi

Steven K. Doi

Jacob Williams, Editor in Chief

Over the past few years, it is normal to see Norco High’s softball team at the top of the charts. They’ve once again re-earned their spot at #1 in the nation.

In the first month of playing, the girls are 15-0, including going 6-0 in the “tournament of champions” in Laughlin, Nevada. The tournament consist of the best teams all around the southwestern part of the U.S. Norco was ruthless on the field, defeating two of the six teams faced by mercy rule. Paige Smith hit two home runs during the weekend tournament and Stevie Hansen tossed a perfect game.

The team is looking absolutely phenomenal, having a team average of .330, an earned run average per game of less than 1, and eight home runs have been hit in only fifteen games. Megan Forbes, a senior at Norco, hit her first regular season home run against Rancho Cucamonga. Stevie Hansen and Sarah Willis are lights out with Hansen throwing two perfect games, and in over twenty-six innings pitched, she has only allowed three hits with no runs, and Willis nearly pitching sixty innings with only four earned runs. Paige Smith and Kinzie Hansen have been known to be leaders on the field and to drive in runs for the team almost, if not, every game. However, new additions to the Cougars lineup, Abby Dayton Allison Beecher, and transfer, Kyleigh Sand, have been stunning. In only fourteen games, Dayton, a freshman at Norco, is 15 for 37, with thirteen runs scored, leading the team in that category. Beecher is 15 for 36 with a triple and eight runs scored. Finally, Sand has eleven hits, eleven runs batted in, and a home run.

It is going to be scary for opponents how good these girls are going to be this year if these girls keep it going, it wouldn’t surprise anyone if all of them receive Division 1 offers by the time they reach their senior seasons. With talent on the bench and a young core across the field, watch out for Norco High not only for this season, but for years to come. We will see if the Cougars can bring home the CIF title for the second year in a row and the third in the past five years. They still have eleven games to go, so let’s see if they can go undefeated this season with mostly league games left.

Keep making the small city of Norco proud!

Photo Credit:

About the Writer
Jacob Williams, Editor

Jacob Williams (12) has been on the NHS journalism staff for 4 years (2015-2019) and is into Norco's sports and events on campus.