• May 16Registration 2019-2020: Jr's Class of 2021 - Friday, August 2

• May 16Registration 2019-2020: Sr's Class of 2020 - Thursday, August 1

• May 16Registration 2019-2020: Fresh. Class of 2023 - Tuesday, August 6

• May 16Registration 2019-2020: Soph. Class of 2022 - Monday, August 5

Woman Receives College Scholarship for Football

Jacob Williams, Editor in Chief

On January 16, 2019, Antoinette “Toni” Harris became the first woman that is a non-kicker to receive a college scholarship for football, from Bethany College, an NAIA school in Kansas.

Harris is currently playing at East Los Angeles College as a safety. She grew up in Detroit, Michigan, and starting playing the sport at the age of 6. She played for her high school (Redford Union High School) as a wide receiver and cornerback. She did not go to East Los Angeles College at first. Her first unknown junior college denied her of playing football because of her gender. Other woman have played for college football teams, but did not receive any scholarships. Katie Hnida kicked for the University of Colorado, and April Gross kicked for Kent State. The first woman to receive a scholarship for football was Becca Longo last April to a division 2 school in Colorado (Adams State).

She signed with Central Methodist University in Fayette, Missouri on February 26. People blasted her phone and social media congratulating her, even Pete Carrol, head coach of the Seattle Seahawks. He said he expects big plays, and he is going to watch her over the next couple years to see how she develops. Not only did Pete Carrol recognize her, but also the NFL official Twitter account and the Seattle Seahawks did as well. The Seahawks official account said, “John and Pete are looking forward to seeing you at the #NFLCombine soon Toni!” Missouri’s Senator, Roy Blunt, also congratulated her via Twitter. Harris is very humble about it but is still going to stay focused for her dream, the NFL.

Her dream may come true, and here is why. The Seahawks are known for drafting unique players in the past. Last year they took Shaquem Griffin who lost most of his hand when he was young.

So far she has made history, so let’s see if she can make the next step and tackle her way into the NFL.

Source: http://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/22144192/antoinette-toni-harris-free-safety-was-offered-scholarship-bethany-college-naia-school

About the Writer
Jacob Williams, Editor

Jacob Williams (12) has been on the NHS journalism staff for 4 years (2015-2019) and is into Norco's sports and events on campus.