• May 16Registration 2019-2020: Jr's Class of 2021 - Friday, August 2

• May 16Registration 2019-2020: Sr's Class of 2020 - Thursday, August 1

• May 16Registration 2019-2020: Fresh. Class of 2023 - Tuesday, August 6

• May 16Registration 2019-2020: Soph. Class of 2022 - Monday, August 5

State Wrestling

Back to Article
Back to Article

State Wrestling

Davide Scrofano, Writer

Making it to the championship for any sport takes a lot of hard work and wrestling is no exception. The girls’ wrestling sent two of its very own wrestlers to state this year. Rebecca Drown and Makayla Breceda both earned spots to represent Norco High School.

Dedication is crucial. In wrestling, this means spending hours in the wrestling room perfecting your technique and going to the weight room to get stronger. “To make it to state, it takes time, passion, and dedication. For as long as I could wrestle, I dreamed if qualifying for state, but I only have been able to place at masters instead of moving on to state. Its taken me three years to make it to where I am now. The experience is irreplaceable; I wouldn’t trade it for the world,” explained Drown. Breceda then said, “That and mental toughness, in my opinion, is what you need to make it to state. I’ve put in a lot of time and work into wrestling. All the hours I spent on the mat or the weight room I could have spent hanging out with friends. But because it was my goal to make it to state, I wasn’t going to let anyone, or anything, get in my way. All the work paid off when I finally made it.”

Wrestling at state has its tough moments and its satisfying moments. For Rebecca, her moments were “Placing, and wrestling on those fresh mats. The toughest moment easily has to be trying to make weight for three days. Not eating is tough, but it was worth it. Also, leaving was tough for me; I had such a great time.” For Makayla, hers was, “My best moments were placing and getting my name on a banner in the wrestling room. The toughest moments for me was cutting weight and being away from friends and family.”

For many people, their ultimate goal from playing a sport is getting a scholarship and playing their sport in college. For Rebecca and Makayla, this is no different. “I’m greatly looking forward to wrestling in college! I most likely will go out of state, however,” said Drown. Breceda explained that “I would love to go wrestle in college. I am young and have many years a head of me before I figure out what college I want to wrestle at though.”

Sports have the power to change someone for the better. That is something that makes sports special to many people. Rebecca and Makayla both explained how wrestling has managed to make a positive impact on their lives. Rebecca said, “Wrestling makes you stronger and shapes your character positively. Joining wrestling has been one of the best decisions of my life.” Makayla explained that “Wrestling means a lot to me. I feel like I’m not a complete person without wrestling. It has managed to make me a much stronger person physically and mentally. I feel like when you have wrestled everything comes easier. That has helped me greatly in the classroom.”

Congratulations to Rebecca Drown for placing third place at state this year and congratulations to Makayla Breceda for placing seventh at state. Their hard work and dedication has not gone unnoticed, and we cannot wait to see what they have planned in the future. Keep up the good work!

About the Writer
Davide Scrofano, Writer

Davide (12) joined the NHS journalism team this year (2018-2019) and is interested in sports on campus.