• May 16Registration 2019-2020: Jr's Class of 2021 - Friday, August 2

• May 16Registration 2019-2020: Sr's Class of 2020 - Thursday, August 1

• May 16Registration 2019-2020: Fresh. Class of 2023 - Tuesday, August 6

• May 16Registration 2019-2020: Soph. Class of 2022 - Monday, August 5

Measles Make a Come back in the United States and Europe

Kylie Armstrong, Writer

Image Credit: CDC

The movement against childhood vaccinations has been around almost as long as the vaccinations themselves. Yet recently, the anti-vaccination movement has started growing and becoming more popular.

One of the arguments from anti-vaxxers is that “vaccines can cause autism.” This point has been debunked by many scientists and researchers. Countless studies, such as a study in 2013 conducted by the Center for Disease Control, has shown no link between vaccines and autism. Another common argument from this community is that vaccine injury is common and people are becoming sicker. Research, again, debunks this and shows that the average life expectancy is longer for those that received their childhood vaccinations.

In the United States, public schools require all students to be up to date on vaccines in order to attend school, but some parents skirt the system and find a way out of it. A common argument amongst anti-vaxxer parents is that their unvaccinated children pose no threat to other children since others have had their vaccines. What these parents fail to recognize is that some children with diseases or auto-immune disorders cannot be vaccinated, so the unvaccinated children are a threat.

According to Medical News Today, complications from measles are fairly common, and some can be serious. They say common complications include diarrhea, vomiting, eye infection, respiratory tract infections, difficulty breathing, ear infections which can lead to permanent hearing loss, and febrile seizures. Patients with weakened immune symptoms who have measles are also more susceptible to bacterial pneumonia which can be fatal. Less common complications but more serious complications that can occur are Hepatitis (liver complications), Encephalitis (brain inflammation that can be fatal), Thrombocytopenia (affects blood’s ability to clot), and Squint (affects eye nerves and eye muscles)

As a result of the growing anti-vaccination movement, diseases that were pretty much abolished, such as measles, are starting to re-appear with a vengeance. Washington has had the worst outbreak of measles in over two decades, with 70 reported cases in that state alone. Europe also has had multiple outbreaks reported with 60,000 cases of measles with 72 deaths. WHO, the World Health Organization, warns that this number is rising due to parents not vaccinating their children.

The United States nearly eradicated childhood diseases such as measles, yet the anti-vaxxer movement is helping them make a comeback. With so much information available on the benefits of vaccinating children, parents should have open discussions with their pediatricians to become educated before they jump on the anti-vaxxer bandwagon.

About the Writer
Kylie Armstrong, Writer

Kylie Armstrong joined journalism this year (2018-2019) and is interested in writing about the many clubs on campus. Her favorite subject is history with...