• March 7You can now order yearbooks from the window at activities!

• February 19Senior t-shirts and sweatshirts are still on sale, visit activities during lunch to purchase one

• February 14AP Exam registration and ordering are now open online. Registration closes on Feb. 22nd

March Madness 2019

Back to Article
Back to Article

March Madness 2019

Jacob Williams, Editor In Chief

From the buzzer beaters to the championship games, March Madness is one of the biggest and well known competition in all of American sports.

If you don’t know what it is, March Madness is a competition to decide the best college basketball team in division 1.March Madness was founded in 1939, consisting of 68 teams playing. It is single elimination with 7 rounds. The first round is called the “first four” which is the two lowest seed teams competing for a spot in the tournament. Following that is the first round (round of 64). Continuing onto the second round (round of 32). Then it becomes the semi-finals, better known as the “sweet sixteen.” After the semi-finals are the regional finals, the “elite eight.” Following the regional finals is the National semi-finals, the “final four,” then finally is the National Championship.

Every year, fans across the nation are glued to their TV’s watching the competition. Last year on March 16, the University of Maryland Baltimore County became the first ever 16 seed to beat a number one seed in the first round. The lowest seed to win a championship was Villanova in 1995.

Every year, there have been countless buzzer beaters and astonishing comebacks. Some fans make their brackets for predicting who they think will win it all. Some examples are Mr. Leduc and Mr. Weinkauf classes that compete for an award.

The selection day for the teams in the tournament comes out on March 17. Once selection day is over, the tournament will take place from March 19th to April 8th. The competition only gets better in college basketball, so make sure to fill out your brackets and get ready for this year’s March Madness. It will be here before you know it.

About the Writer
Jacob Williams, Editor

Jacob Williams (12) has been on the NHS journalism staff for 4 years (2015-2019) and is into Norco's sports and events on campus.