• May 16Registration 2019-2020: Jr's Class of 2021 - Friday, August 2

• May 16Registration 2019-2020: Sr's Class of 2020 - Thursday, August 1

• May 16Registration 2019-2020: Fresh. Class of 2023 - Tuesday, August 6

• May 16Registration 2019-2020: Soph. Class of 2022 - Monday, August 5

Rainy days

Back to Article
Back to Article

Rainy days

Jake Dailey, Website Editor

As it pours down today, we see how unprepared and foreign heavy rainfall is to Californians. With buildings having square, flat roofs with no real runoff making them a pooling zone, and the roads becoming light rivers, these conditions seem terrible to us. The world is ending!

Consider places such as Minnesota and the northwestern states. The rainy seasons there are stunning, with Oregon receiving 200 inches of rainfall annually in coastal regions, and Minnesota averaging 112 rainy days a year. As Californians, we have some of the best weather around, as our only major problem is the heat. Southern California is particularly dry and not used to much rain, with the arid weather most of the year making us not used to driving when it rains. Debris such as oil, gasoline, rubber, and dirt which builds up during the dry spells start to become a major problem when it rains, creating slick and dangerous road conditions. According to California Highway Patrol, accidents increase by more than 200% during rainy days. Lessened road visibility and inexperienced drivers lead to this increased rate, as many do not adjust their driving habits, with our traffic making us notorious for tail gating, leading to collisions. Those who speed endangering their lives and as well as the lives of others seemingly don’t consider hydroplaning and puddles to be dangerous, yet if a driver hits one of these fast enough, the driver can be sent into an uncontrollable tailspin. During days like this, drivers should remember to slow down, take their time, and avoid puddles if possible.

On a side note, it’s rain, people. Just rain. No, students should not be missing school for a “rain” day. No, students don’t need to scream every time it starts to rain harder. Plan accordingly and dress appropriately. Again, it’s rain, people. Just water.

About the Writer
Jake Dailey, Website Editor

Jake Dailey (12) joined journalism this year (2018-2019) and is interested in technology and history. His hobbies include hiking and taking care of animals.